Creating a luxurious feeling or emitting a high-quality ambience in your salon isn’t always about investing in expensive, hand-crafted furniture. Yes, it would be fabulous to have bespoke workstations and well-appointed reception areas, but very often we don’t have the budget for such expensive luxuries.
But this doesn’t mean we have to go for second best or budget options when it comes to presenting and designing our salons. There are lots of ways to create a high-end feel and sprinkle a smattering of subtle luxury around the place without forfeiting a year’s worth of takings.
- There’s nothing quite like the comfort of soft, thick, warm towels, is there? Investing a little bit more in good quality towels will add so much to the overall customer experience.
- Fresh flowers in your salon brighten up the place, make it smell nice, give a focal point and will, no doubt, get your clients talking about them. Put an arrangement in each area of your salon and the place will simply ooze class and style.
- Glossy, high-quality magazines only, please. Nothing shouts ‘cheapskate’ than dog-eared chatty magazines that are full of ‘real’ life stories that make you squirm. Choose the right kind of magazines for the clientele you attract and this will add an extra layer of luxury to your clients’ experience.
- Comfortable chairs are a must for any salon; that goes without saying. But make sure that every chair in the salon is comfortable – from the wash basins to the reception area, a luxurious salon is all about comfort everywhere!
- Cleanliness regardless of how busy your salon is (or how many staff are working) there is no excuse for an unclean salon. If staff numbers are on the short side ensure everyone takes responsibility for keeping their own work stations clean. Nobody wants to spend time in a salon that’s in need of a deep clean, now, do they?
- Clutter-free zones if you want to reduce breakages, and create a good flow (or chi) in your salon then make sure everything has a place and work areas remain as clutter-free as possible. Clean, tidy surfaces aren’t just aesthetically pleasing, they’re actually good for the mind and give off a sense of calmness, professionalism and organisation.
- Well-designed salons exude quality and class. A well-thought out and appropriately designed salon emits a luxurious feel. Stations which are squashed up against each other to get more clients in, give the wrong impression. Maximising salon space and ensuring each area is easy to walk through (don’t forget health and safety regs!) is a must if you want to give that high-end impression.
- Professional, well-mannered staff in your salon can be your most luxurious asset. Polite, friendly staff who are attentive to your clients’ needs can make the difference between a luxurious, professional setup and an amateur.
- A warm welcome awaits all your salon customers. Even if you’re rushed off your feet, a warm welcome should always await every single person who walks through the salon door. People always remember how you make them feel, so make sure you and your team make every customer feel special, appreciated and keen to return.
- Create a first-class team. And finally… investing time, money and effort into securing a great team of stylists and/or therapists is crucial if you want to create a luxurious brand. Once under your wing, the team can be trained to your high standard, and as long as you focus on keeping up morale and offer job satisfaction, your first-class team will stay with you for the long-term and staff retention speaks volumes to your clients, too.
Put some of these luxurious ideas into practice and see the difference it makes to your salon/spa. Feel free to let us know how you’ve added a touch of luxury to your salon, too. We’d love to know!